Vision / MissionFacultyRank HoldersStudent AchievementsStaff Achievements
To be among the nation’s premier small research and teaching Computer Science departments.
- To create, share, and apply knowledge in Computer Science, including in interdisciplinary areas that extend the scope of Computer Science and benefit humanity; to educate students to be successful, ethical, and effective problem-solvers and life-long learners who will contribute positively to the economic well-being of our region and nation and who are prepared to tackle complex 21st Century challenges facing the world.
- The mission of the department is to offer a high-quality liberal arts education in the art and science of computing, as well as to prepare students for career opportunities in this area requiring a high level of technical knowledge and skill. The department will continue to develop and administer programs which serve the needs of industrial computer scientists, researchers, and computer application specialists for whom the discipline of computing sciences provides indispensable tools.
- The mission is accomplished through an offering of major and minor programs, cooperative endeavours with other universities, articulation agreements with two-year colleges, ties with industry, and by advancing scholarship in the discipline.
- Provide quality undergraduate and graduate education in both the theoretical and applied foundations of computer science and train students to effectively apply this education to solve real-world problems thus amplifying their potential for lifelong high-quality careers and give them a competitive advantage in the ever-changing and challenging global work environment of the 21st century
- Conduct research to advance the state of the art in computer science and integrate research results and innovations into other scientific disciplines
- To promote all-round growth of an individual by creating futuristic environment that fosters critical thinking, dynamism and innovation to transform them into globally competitive professionals.
- To undertake collaborative projects which offer opportunities for long-term interaction with academia and industry.
- To develop human potential to its fullest extent so that intellectually capable and optimistic leaders can emerge in a range of professions.
- Our programs have a central core of requirements covering the fundamental areas of computing sciences.
- Our programs have co-requirements to assure that our graduates have thorough training in logical and critical reasoning needed for continuing intellectual growth.
- Our programs meet the needs of adult students with interest in skill enhancement for current jobs or retraining in the computing sciences.
- Our department provides support to the general education and other academic programs in the college.
- Our department engages in outreach activities that promote a spirit of cooperation between college and community.